I am so sorry I have been posting so sporadically lately! My second semester is off to a good start but is keeping me super busy!! So as I said a few posts back, I would share with you how I survive eating healthy on a SMALL college campus.
In this post, you will discover how I am able to maintain a healthy lifestyle while living in a dorm.
As some of you may know I am a freshmen at Furman University, a small college in Greenville South Carolina. Because our campus is so small we don’t have many eating options other than our Dinning Hall. So with such few options, you have to become a bit creative. But I don’t mind, I love to be challenged, and see what my little culinary mind can come up with.
Here are my 5 rules for surviving the dining hall:
- AVOID dessert at all cost!! I know this can be very hard, especially when there are Furman’s famous chocolate chip cookies involved. Suppress your sugar craving with a piece of fruit or a handful of chocolate chips.
- ALWAYS drink water!! Yes, I know many of us easily go for the soda or other sugary drinks because they are easier and provide the sugar we want. But restrain yourself! Your body can always use more water to stay active and healthy.
- No fried food! I know I am a huge sucker for french fries and chicken fingers. But there are so many healthier options. Opt for grilled chicken and roasted potatoes instead.
- Although it is hard to say to cut all gluten out of your diet, try to limit it!
- To add a little adventure into your diet, and experiment! I often get sick of the salad bar due to its limit in variety, so I have learned how to get my veggies different ways! I often eat sauteed veggies or eat carrots and hummus or even make a lettuce wrap sandwich.
While theses are only a few things I do to keep a healthy diet in the dining hall, I hope they inspire you to become creative and try new things. Check back every week for a new DH meal hack!